Thursday 29 September 2011

'92 WCW. Yep.

The '92 and '93 Yearbooks came in the mail, so I'm going through what, based off of what I've read, could make my top 100 list. Going to re-watch things that I think look too high or low, too (maybe).

Big Van Vader/Mr. Hughes v The Steiner Brothers (Clash of the Champions 21/1/92)
--Fun sub-ten minute bomb-fest. Actually this had less bombs than I was expecting, but a Steiners vs. Fat Boys match without bombs is like....what's the point? I'm not huge fan of Vader being dominated in the openings of matches, but the Steiners are practically all about that. Mr. Hughes reminded me of this giant guy I saw on the Mid-South set...Kareem... Abdul... Mohammed...something. A really big guy who looks like he could beat the shit out of you at any moment, yet gets almost zero offense in any match. In fact all I remember him doing was a hip-lock, and I can't even say it was him that did it. He'd spend most of him getting thrown in suplexes, which all looked awesome, and meant a lot more than the regular Steiner suplexes since these guys are fatasses. I watched this like four days ago, so I'm struggling to picture anything else but Vader's punches and Jim Ross going pretty giddy for a Steinerline, but this was a good match.

Cactus Jack v Van Hammer (Clash of the Champions 21/1/92)
--Mick Foley in a falls-count-anywhere environment usually won't miss, but the ultimate level of suck known as "Heavy Metal" Van Hammer drags this down. This was clearly only interesting when Cactus had control, and even then Van Hammer seemed like a lazy scared little sack when selling a clothesline. Actually, Hammer's physicality was way worse than anything else; he'd actually do a nifty little sequence, like a classic WCW 90s clothesline > powerslam > middle rope jump thing, but those ten seconds won't make a match. Him being really unwilling to take any sort of good bump while Mickles was plastering his own arse into the concrete for the sake of a good bump really annoyed me. The highlight of Hammer's entire offense might have been he first move where he launched some of that...stuff from his stupid looking guitar at Foley. Foley's sweet revenge is awesome in the back, he's laying stuff into Hammer's head and making him feel that shit. I don't remember what exactly he hit him with, but I remember thinking it was a prop used in the Finlay/Regal parking lot brawl. Probably wasn't. Still, that tier #2 in this match only behind Abdullah the Butcher hobbling in and dumping people (including one Missy Hyatt) into what I think was a pig water trough. Good match? Average match? No idea. It's something I'd be fine with wasting eight or so minutes on right now, so, yeah.

No comments:

Post a Comment