Thursday 8 September 2011

Babyface Arn Anderson?

Arn Anderson v Steven Regal (WCW 9/10/93)
--These two don't match up as well as they should. I really, really like their SuperBrawl IV 30 minute one, but even that, I don't know. "Arn Anderson vs. Steven Regal for 30 minutes" is an on-paper wet dream for me, and it's not *everything* I want, you know? Either way, they've never had a bad match together, either, and this definitely wasn't. Honestly the more I watch the more I think it's because Anderson just should not be a babyface. He works the arm, and it's okay, but it's way, way, way, way more fascinating and believable when he's a heel, because he's got more room for cheating his way out of things and creating openings for transactions, etc. Arn's babyface facial expressions and mannerisms really aren't great either. I thought his stuff during this time not being too great *may* have just been because he was over the hill at this point, but he's still top stuff the next year once he turns on Dustin, so I'm convinced it's this babyface thing. Match goes the fifteen minute time limit, and the final parts are a little disappointing; I really don't like WCW pulling out these draws only for the wrestlers to kill time in the last few minutes and not really get anywhere. It's really the same thing: babyface hits finisher at 8 second mark, pretends he's so out of energy he can't cover, and once he does at the 2 second mark, it's too late. This wasn't bad, but I'd be fine and dandy never watching it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment