Sunday 26 June 2011

Found a lot more...

Pardon whatever spelling errors there might be..Blush smiley.

Riki Choshu v Shinya Hashimoto (NJPW 2/8/96)
--Just became one of my favourite matches ever, so damn HARD HITTING and STIFF. It had a certain atmosphere like these two were evenly matched or something and they started off with a few collar & elbows tie ups which lasted not a minute before they started belting each other with palms and chops, to say the very least it was great. I was surprised by how much these two took in, seemed like they had made some mutual agreement to not hold anything back at all because from what I remember every hit landed stupidly hard, no thigh-slapping, no dumb stomping, nothing. The lariats near the end were one of my favourite sequences of any match ever, Choshu keeps laying them in to take Hashimoto down, and Hahsimoto wasn't going down after like five of them. When I say "lay them in" I don't mean "they looked awesome" I mean he honest-to-God swung at him and hit him borderline as hard as he could. Finish wasn't long after that; Hashimoto gets ready for the last lariat and yells "CHOSHUUUU" and finally goes down. 1996 match of the year contender.

Tiger Mask v Black Tiger (NJPW 26/5/82)
--Nothing special but as far as Tiger Mask matches go it was good. First few minutes had the usual TM formula where he'd squeeze in as many spinny arm reversals and stuff as possible, and as usual his opponent sells it like a punch to the face. Black Tiger tried working the arm after that and Sayama seemingly shurgged some of it off but still managed to not ignore it and make it look hurtful.Small finishing stretch was neato with Sayama winning with a crooked looking moonsault. If you like Tiger Mask's style a lot then definitely watch this, otherwise it's nothing above "good".

Hulk Hogan v Abdullah the Butcher (NJPW 26/5/82)
--Oh man I liked this a lot. Hogan's been one of my favourites ever since I first watched him, and this is good for an example of how he can put a really good little match together. His execution isn't too sharp but it's satisfying enough. Abdullah, despite looking exhausted after the first five minutes, put a great effort in right down to the awesome post-match brawl. He did his usual routine, poking and jarring Hogan with a spiky foreign object, leaning outside to run his head into the post, etc. then Hogan retaliates by chewing parts of his head so the both of them are bleeding good. Unsurprising double count-out finish aside, I could watch this over and over, I think.

Dick Murdoch v Tatsumi Fujinami (NJPW 6/7/82)
--If Murdoch kicking the flowers given to him into the crowd isn't the best thing I've ever seen, then his grounded shots on Fujinami are. He was laying his knuckles straight into the corner of his forehead, and without trying to sound evil, it was awesome. Fujinami's a guy I can really get into as far as coming back from huge amounts of pain goes and he was tops here as usual. Really well put together match. Little surprised after everything Murdoch had done he got face reactions, though.

Tiger Mask/Kengo Kimura v The Dynamite Kid/Bret Hart (NJPW 16/7/82)
--TM and DKid are a hit and miss to me, and Bret sucks shit in Japan, so I wasn't planning on paying close attention to this at all. I got the basics of it, it looked to be almost a little version of the No Mercy 2002 tag or something (which I'm not a fan of at all), with plenty of big moves and stuff. Didn't look bad or anything but this making the NJPW 80s set over Inoki/Fujinami 8/8/88 is a real head scratcher.

I'll find more as well, you watch. Actually I know for a fact I wrote something on Fujiwara/Choshu from 87, Danielson/Strong Vendetta (which was actually my longest one ever, WarGames 92 is probably bigger, though), and more Santito stuff. I have others from earlier years but I don't plan to post them anytime soon. Another blush smiley.

4 comments:

  1. assuming the danielson/morishima match is from 'man up' (as I remember it being a much shorter match than their other ones), the basic story was at Manhattan Mayhem II Danielson legitimately dislocated his retina after a kick/punch to the eye. In the Man Up match Morishima promises to stay away from the eye as a good sport, then the finish occurs and the feud becomes uber personal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote this last year and I've watched MMayhem since then. Still don't *fully* understand it all but I think I have the basic idea of the feud. I'll go through them all in order one day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have no fucking clue how to reply to people's comments and actually comment under my own blog.

    ReplyDelete