Friday 8 July 2011

Project 1996

Got the 1996 yearbook (thanks to the good folk at DVDVR, namely Loss and Goodhelmet) in the mail today and I'm planning making a list out of it. I'm definitely not ranking every match since the idea of a yearbook isn't the same idea as a match of the year contender set, and that allows for some crappy stuff to come through, I want it to be the "best of the best" of sorts. I've always wanted to make "Top ___ of the year" lists and I've got started on it a ton of times but never follow through with (like with anything, namely my top 100 matches of the 2000s list that lasted one week). The yearbooks are the best way to get these done since there's practically the whole year right there on the one set. I'm doing this with all yearbooks when I get them and even though none are likely to be ever finished I'll have a ball with them and that's all that matters.

I have no idea right now how deep I'll go, I don't want to say I'm making a top 20 only for my heart to be broken when a certain match falls off. E.g. there's no way I'm leaving a match like Vader/Inoki off of this list no matter how many matches I think are better. I can't see myself going too far past 30 or so, but we'll see.

If there's any matches from 1996 (or the other years) that aren't on the yearbook(s) that I think should make it I'll include them as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment